University Accreditation, Program and Enrollment Information
John Brown University, founded in Northwest Arkansas in 1919, serves over 2,800 students from 40 nations and 42 states. JBU is a Christian university committed to providing quality academics within a distinctly Christian community. The university has no denominational affiliation and admits students of any faith. JBU is a vibrant and growing independent Christian university of the arts, sciences and professions.
To provide Christ-centered education that prepares people to honor God and serve others by developing their intellectual, spiritual and professional lives.
John Brown University
2000 West University Street
Siloam Springs, AR 72761
(479) 524 - 9500
30 North LaSalle Street, Suite 2400
Chicago, IL 60602
John Brown University is accredited by
- John Brown University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, http://ncahigherlearningcommission.org, (800) 621-7440
- The education preparation programs are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP, formerly NCATE), http://caepnet.org, (202) 223-0077
- The Bachelor of Science in Engineering Program, including electrical/computer, mechanical or renewable energy concentrations, is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org, (410) 347-7700
- Construction Management degree is accredited by the American Council for Construction Education (ACCE), http://www.acce-hq.org, (210) 495-6161
- All business degree programs of the College of Business are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP), http://www.acbsp.org, (913) 339-9356
John Brown University is approved by:
- Arkansas State Department of Education
- The United States Department of Justice has approved John Brown University for the education of foreign students
John Brown University is a member of:
- The Council for Christian Colleges & Universities (CCCU)
- Arkansas’ Independent Colleges and Universities (AICU)
- Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability (ECFA)
- Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE)
- Conference of Southern Graduate Schools (CSGS)
Undergraduate Majors - 40
Undergraduate Minors - 47
Graduate Degree Programs - 10
Top 5 Undergraduate Programs By Enrollment
- Engineering - 133
- Graphic and Web Design - 94
- Family and Human Services - 79
- Early Childhood Education - 71
- Business Administration - 71
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling, MS
- Collaborative Design, MFA
- Curriculum and Instruction, MEd
- Higher Education Leadership, MS
- International Business, MBA
- Leadership and Ethics, MBA, MS
- Marriage and Family Therapy, MS
- School Counseling, MS
- Secondary Education, MAT
Associate's Degree Programs
- Construction Management
- Electromechanical Technology
- General education
- Interdisciplinary Studies
Undergraduate and Graduate Faculty
Full-time - 84
Adjunct - 72
Total = 156
76 percent of the full-time faculty hold a Ph.D. or terminal degree.
Student/Faculty Ratio – 15:1
Degrees Awarded July 1, 2013 – June 30, 2014
Undergraduate - 456
Graduate - 140
Average Class Size: 20
Honors Scholars Program
JBU’s Honor Scholars Program promotes academic excellence in a community of highly motivated student scholars and faculty mentors. With a curriculum based in the Great Books, the honors program features a hands-on learning experience in addition to challenging coursework. JBU’s program has been a model for other Honors Scholars Programs worldwide.
Degree Completion Program
The Degree Completion Program allows working adults with prior college credit to complete their bachelor’s degree in organizational management, business administration and liberal arts (online). The program has educational centers in Fort Smith, Little Rock and Rogers, Ark. Classes are also held in locations throughout the Northwest Arkansas region.
The Graduate School offers advanced degrees in professional disciplines through full-time or part-time enrollment. JBU offers graduate programs in the areas of Business, Counseling, Education and Design. Classes are offered in Rogers, Little Rock, Fort Smith, Siloam Springs and online, depending on the program.
2014 Enrollment - Total - 2,850
- Traditional Undergraduate - 1,359
- Degree Completion Program - 422
- Concurrent/Dual Students - 450
- Graduate - 619
New Undergraduate Full-Time Student Enrollment - Total - 386
84 percent of fall 2013 full-time, first-time freshmen re-enrolled for fall 2014.
See: Student - Right - to - Know
Average high school GPA of entering freshmen
3.64 (Based on a 4.0 scale)
Average ACT score of entering freshmen
Average SAT scores of entering freshmen
Men - 596
Women - 763
Degree Completion Program
Men - 175
Women - 247
Men - 216
Women - 403
Number of Resident Students
Traditional Undergraduate - 900
Undergraduate Student Population
Top Ten States:
- Arkansas - 506
- Texas - 167
- Oklahoma - 110
- Missouri - 85
- Kansas - 80
- Colorado - 55
- Illinois - 26
- California - 25
- Nebraska - 19
- Iowa - 18
In 2014, students enrolled at JBU from 42 states and 40 foreign countries.
African American - 25
Asian/Pacific Islander - 8
Caucasian - 1,046
Hispanic - 105
Not Recorded - 3
Non-U.S. Citizen - 114
John Brown University has two endowed, associated centers that serve the university, community and the nation by actively addressing two major areas of concern in today’s society: the need for strong marriages and families and the need for ethical business leaders.
The Center for Healthy Relationships
To have a major impact on marriages and families by providing Christ-centered education and intervention.
Executive Director: Dr. Gary J. Oliver, Ph.D.
The Soderquist Center for Leadership and Ethics
To develop and equip world-changing ethical business leaders.
- Dr. Charles Pollard - President
- Dr. Steve Beers - VP for Student Development
- Mr. Don Crandall - VP for Enrollment Management
- Dr. Ed Ericson III - VP for Academic Affairs
- Ms. Kim Hadley - VP for Finance and Administration
- Dr. James Krall - VP of University Advancement
- Dr. Richard Ellis - Dean of the Graduate School
- Dr. Rob Norwood - Dean of Undergraduate Studies
Honors and Recognition
- U.S. News & World Report’s-ranked first in the Southern Region and on the Best Value list.
- The John Brown University business teams got first and third in the undergraduate division at the 2014 Tri-State Donald W. Reynolds Cup Business Plan Competition.
- A team of JBU engineering students traveled to Kennedy Space Center in Florida, to participate in the NASA Lunabotics Mining Competition. JBU is one of only a handful of teams that has been a part of the contest since it started.
- Recognized as a "Great College to Work For" by The Chronicle of Higher Education
JBU’s 200-acre main campus is located in Siloam Springs, Ark. More than 60 percent of the buildings are new or have been renovated in the last 10 years.
JBU is a member of the NAIA Division I and offers the following intercollegiate sports:
- Men and Women’s Basketball
- Men and Women’s Cheerleading
- Men and Women’s Cross Country
- Men's Golf
- Men and Women’s Soccer
- Men and Women’s Tennis
- Women’s Volleyball
Information on this page was reported according to statistics in October 2014.