Golden Eagle Cheerleading
2013-14 Tryout Information
Tryout Clinic: Friday, March 8, 5:00-9:30pm and Saturday, March 9, 9 a.m. through 2 p.m.
Tryouts Before Judges: Saturday, March 9, 3 p.m.
Location: Clinic and tryouts will be held at Bill George Arena
- Application and acceptance to JBU
- Proof of medical insurance and signed Medical Authorization and Release Form (Must be received by noon on March 1, 2013)
- Tryout Application (Must be received by noon on March 1, 2013)
- Attendance at clinic and try-outs on March 8-9 or submission and receipt of video try-out by noon on March 1, 2013
The main purpose of the tryout process is to select the best overall individuals for the Cheer Squad. We are looking for students who demonstrate, first and foremost, a desire for personal and spiritual growth, as well as teach-ability and spirit, proper technique, effective communication skills, cheerleading, dance or gymnastics experience and poise, academic commitment and a drive for team excellence. We will select individuals who are ready and prepared to contribute to the program immediately and possibly some others who may not be the most experienced at this time, but show the potential to contribute to the program with hard work, commitment and guidance.
There will be five categories in which participants will be judged:
- Cheer Technique
- Emotions, sharpness, voice, ability to lead crowd, etc.
- Group cheer taught at the clinic
- Individual chant made up in a group at clinic
- A stunting clinic will be held on Friday evening
- Male leaders will be expected to perform or quickly learn partner walk-up stunts and/or toss up stunts
- Ladies will be expected to fly, base or back-spot group stunts
- A dance will be taught at the clinic
- Round-off back handspring is the minimum skill to achieve excellence in this category
- Each candidate is required to do the following jumps: Toe Touch/Hurdler (right and left)/Pike/Double Toe Touch
In order to make the squad, you must show excellence in overall cheer technique and meet the required point total in three of the other four categories.
What to Wear:
Men: Black or royal blue shorts with white t-shirt or polo style shirt, white ankle socks and athletic shoes.
Ladies: Royal blue shorts with a plain white t-shirt (no tank tops), white ankle socks and athletic shoes, hair pulled back in secure ponytail with white bow. (NO jewelry/fake nails)
If shorts are loose, please wear bloomers/boy shorts underneath.
Housing and meals will be provided for those who need accommodations to tryout.
Other Methods of Audition:
If you are unable to attend try-outs, you can send in a video try-out which must include:
- One time-out cheer (using JBU lingo: Eagles, blue and gold, JBU, etc.)
- One sideline chant
- One dance (at least 6 eight counts)
- Jumps: Toe touch, pike, hurdler, double toe
- Stunts: Any stunting you can show
- Tumbling: Any tumbling you can show
- Video Essay: Please introduce yourself (name and where you are from), explain any cheerleading/tumbling/dance background you have, why you want to be on the JBU Cheer Squad, what you would bring to the team, and what you consider to be the most important thing about you that the coach should know
The deadline for video try-outs to be postmarked and received is March 1, 2013. Please send the video to:
2432 West Orlando Dr.
Fayettteville, Arkansas 72701
Please contact Shannon Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (479) 790-2453 for any questions.