Educ Prgms - Academic/Financial Aid Policies for Off-Campus Prgs
Academic Policies for Off-Campus Programs
1. For JBU credit to be awarded, the program or experience must be approved in advance by the International Programs Committee.
2. Credit earned in non-JBU led off-campus programs is posted as "CR" on the student's JBU transcript.
3. Students in such programs are designated as enrolled at JBU.
Financial Aid Policy for Off-Campus Programs
This information applies only to aid directly from John Brown University. It does not affect any federal or state aid or loans that a student may have. It also does not apply to the JBU Semester in Ireland Program.
Off-campus study is a valuable part of a student's education. Therefore, JBU allows a certain number of students per year to apply a portion of their institutional financial aid to semester abroad programs. In allocating financial aid funds to semester abroad programs and selecting students to receive such a benefit, the university's policy is driven by two guiding principles:
> Study abroad programs that immerse students in a foreign culture are some of the most valuable, life-changing educational experiences that a student can have.
> Cross-cultural study that occurs in a Christian context and is motivated from a Christian worldview is the most meaningful kind of semester abroad experience.
Therefore, John Brown University seeks to give priority in financial aid support and student selection to cross-cultural programs that share its Christian mission and educational perspective.
Study Abroad Financial Aid
> Up to 100% of institutional financial aid, depending on available funds: Semester in Spain Program (Seville) and Oxford Honours Programme.
> Up to 75% of institutional financial aid, depending on available funds: all international CCCU programs.
> Up to 50% of institutional financial aid, depending on available funds: other Christian-based cross-cultural programs approved by the International Programs Committee.
> Up to 50% of institutional financial aid, depending on available funds: all domestic CCCU programs and IPC-approved domestic programs (such as the Focus on the Family Institute).
Awarding Study Abroad Financial Aid
1. By February 1 of the preceding semester, any student planning to apply JBU financial aid to a study abroad program for the fall semester must notify the International Programs Office in writing. The International Programs Committee may allocate up to 75% of available financial aid funds for students studying abroad in the fall semester.
2. By October 1 of the fall semester, any student planning to apply JBU financial aid to a study abroad program for the spring semester must notify the International Programs Office in writing. The International Programs Committee will allocate the remaining available financial aid funds to eligible students studying abroad in the spring semester.
3. Award amounts for each individual student will vary based on the overall number of students applying for study abroad, the particular program attended, and the amount of aid that the student is eligible for. In addition, the following factors will affect award amounts: prior participation in semester abroad programs or intercultural experiences, financial need, year of study at John Brown University, and overall GPA.
1. Students receiving scholarships or stipends that require on-campus service (such as resident assistants, Student Government Association officers, student publications editors, CAUSE officers, and athletes) may not apply their institutional scholarships to study abroad programs.
2. Students attending JBU under a tuition exchange program from another college cannot carry that exchange to an off-campus program. Students receiving JBU tuition remission may apply up to 50% of their tuition remission to an off-campus program.
3. Students receiving JBU aid while attending off-campus programs must return to JBU for further study, or must graduate from JBU at the conclusion of the program. If this is not done, the student must repay the amount received from JBU as financial aid for the program.
4. All summer study abroad tuition and fees must be paid in full by May 5, fall trip(s) payment due August 5, and spring trip(s) payment due January 5.