JBU Degree Completion Program Blog
Get Hired, Get Ahead
Thursday, July 25, 2013
Last week we hosted our second Lunch & Learn session at the JBU Rogers Center. Beth Pittman and David Bates of Cameron Smith Associates, northwest Arkansas' premier corporate recruitment firm for Walmart supplier jobs, were the featured speakers.
Pittman and Bates provided suggestions for writing an effective resume, outlined what employers are looking for when hiring, and reviewed social media dos and don'ts when seeking employment. Some of their job hunting tips included:
- Keep your LinkedIn profile up to date.
- Visit your Chamber of Commerce's website for local job openings.
- Use keywords for your industry when writing your resume.
- Write a resume that captures attention in 30-60 seconds.
- List measurables and accomplishments in your resume introduction.
- Use the 5-5-2 rule on resumes - no more than 5 lines per paragraph, 5 items in a bullet list, and 2 pages.
- Don't be shy about asking a connection for a LinkedIn introduction, but be specific in your request.
- Be familiar with different interview styles and be prepared to give examples of your successes.
- Dress well; interviewers assume that's the best you'll ever look at the office.
- Send a thank-you email (jobs fill quickly and you may not have time to send a handwritten note).
- Take a paper and pen to take notes during your interview; it conveys that you take it seriously.
- Have questions prepared for your interviewer(s).
- Make sure your LinkedIn photo is professional.
- Consider a Twitter account; a lot of recruiters use Twitter to post jobs.
- Ensure that your email address is professional; nobody hires email@example.com.
- Clean up your social media. Recruiters check your Facebook account and Google you.
More than 50 students, alumni and community members attended the luncheon. The next luncheon event in Rogers will be held in October. The JBU Lunch & Learn series is sponsored by the Organizational Management program.
JBU quality. Convenient scheduling.
John Brown University’s mission is to provide Christ-centered education that prepares people to honor God and serve others by developing their intellectual, spiritual, and professional lives. At JBU, we understand that a traditional campus experience isn’t for everyone. That’s why we developed our Degree Completion Program, which integrates the unparalleled quality of a John Brown University education with the convenience of online or evening classes.