Head Coach, Women's Volleyball
Serves as Head Coach of Women’s Volleyball, an NAIA Division I program. John Brown University belongs to the Sooner Athletic Conference. Provides overall leadership for the Women’s Volleyball program including: coordinating practices and games, recruiting athletes, ordering equipment, scheduling, monitoring the strength and conditioning program, community involvement and other duties as assigned. Responsible for enforcing institutional, conference, and NAIA regulations relevant to the JBU volleyball program. This is a 3/4 time position with full benefits.
- Strong ability to create good will with staff, faculty, students, and community; servant attitude.
- Commitment to the academic and athletic success of the student-athlete.
- Commitment to the Articles of Faith, Mission, and Objectives of the University; and desires to be a role model for students by demonstrating an active Christian faith in personal example and in work related responsibilities.
- Sets goals and objectives and accomplishes them without the need for frequent follow up.
- Character: Models the NAIA five core values of the Champions of Character Program. Works with team and the Champions of Character program to provide opportunities for community involvement.
- Recruiting: Following all NAIA guidelines, recruits student-athletes to JBU by working closely with admissions and financial aid. Prepares and submits letter of intent and scholarship forms to the Director of Athletics. Maintain a roster with a minimum of 14-15 players.
- Team Leadership: Monitors and mentors academic progress of team members. Communicates and furnishes all necessary information to Registrar for eligibility reporting. Responsible for the conduct of team members at all athletics contests. Guides and mentors student-athletes in academic and social expectations. Works with head trainer in the prevention and care of athletic related injuries. Recommends student-athletes for approved awards and presents them at the awards convocation. Organizes and conducts effective practice sessions. Delegates responsibilities to assistant coach and evaluates his/her performance.
- Budgeting/Administration: Manages and works within the operational budget and scholarship budget. Follows all expenditure procedures. Purchases all necessary equipment and uniforms. Organizes and is responsible for equipment and uniform checkout, inventory, storage.
- Scheduling/Publicity. Schedules non-conference games – home and away. Schedules all travel details – hotels, meals, transportation. Works with Facility Coordinator and other coaches to schedule fields for practice. Works with SID regarding all publicity, stats, pictures, etc.
- Growth/Relationships: Participates in professional growth activities by attending clinics/workshops. Participates in local civic groups to develop community relationships.
- Meets the following performance indicators: maintain a graduation rate greater than or equal to the JBU student body over a 6 yr period. Provides intentional spiritual development throughout the academic year. Monitors the behavior patterns of the student-athletes to ensure an understanding of the expectations and the importance of the “JBU Community Covenant”. Maintains a team climate that is mutually respectful of coaches and athletes. Maintains a win/loss overall record (over 5 year span) that exceeds or averages .500. Maintains a win/loss conference record over 5 years that exceeds or averages .500. Prepares and submits an annual report to the Director of Athletics at the end of each academic year.
- Optional Responsibility and Income: Option of running summer camp for women’s volleyball. One week in July is currently set aside each year. Coach is fully responsible. JBU pays for postage; coach pays for insurance, JBU rental fees, coaching salaries, printing costs, equipment costs.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Demonstrated successful coaching experience at the collegiate level.
- Good communication skills and administrative abilities.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Head coaching experience.
- Teaching at the college level
- Master’s degree (preferred) from an accredited institution in a discipline appropriate to the teaching assignment (if applicable).
Reporting to this position
- Assistant Coach, Women’s Volleyball, work study manager(s)
Physical demands and work environment
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; stand; sit; use hands; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal.
Information describing the university is available on-line.
Please complete the application and the questionnaire then email it along with your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Only complete materials will be reviewed. Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted by the university.
Office of Human Resources
John Brown University
2000 West University Street
Siloam Springs, AR 72761