John Brown University's Art & Illustration students have a great number of possible career choices! Below are listed just a few possibilities:
- Commercial Product Designer – Designing commercial products means that you could design greeting cards for a major card company. You could also design stationary, calendars, and textiles that are sold around the world.
- Medical and Science Illustrator – In a position like this you would design images found in medical or science text books, not to mention medical publications, journals, presentations, websites and the like. Typically, medical and science illustrators earn dual bachelor’s degrees in science and illustration in order to maximize their understanding of both fields.
- Fashion Illustrator – These illustrators design online and print advertising for clothing, shoes, and accessories. Typically, they work to create aesthetically appealing layouts for fashion magazines, departments stores, catalogs, and independent designers.
- Children’s Book Illustrator – Currently, there exists a large research initiative devoted to developing great children’s literature, and there are countless children’s books in the making that could use creative and fun illustrations. You could work for a publishing house or as a freelancer in this field.
- Animation studios – An animators skillset can be used in versatile ways from creating unique characters and settings in which these characters live to creating 3D models for project designs and execution. Animators are able to supplement communication based on their design and execution.
- Advertising Agencies – Companies are anxious to get the word out about their products and services, and each one of those companies is different. There are plenty of opportunities to develop brands and labels at advertising agencies that communicate the functionality of a product and increase sales.
- Freelance Work – If you don’t want to only do one type of illustration then build a portfolio and a clientele. This a great way to utilize your skills and fulfill your passion in a variety of circumstances.