Planning for Your Future
Careers in Music Education
Education majors can work in a variety of positions. Many schools both nationally and internationally look for quality teachers who have a heart to teach children. With a major in music education, students can:
- Teach overseas - Many international and missionary based schools look for qualified teachers to serve.
- Become a music therapist - Grad school is required to become a music therapist, and many hospitals, schools, retirement homes, therapy centers, teen outreach and mental institutions seek out music therapists.
- Children's choir director - Many churches and para-churches look for choir teachers for their youth.
- Choral director - Schools, music groups and activity/education centers often seek out people who not only know music, but know how to teach music as well.
- Work in private or public schools - Educational institutions are always seeking quality teachers.
- Work in daycare centers or nursery schools - Childcare workers who understand childhood development and education fundamentals are in great demand.
- Graduate school - Many graduates choose to pursue a degree in higher education to teach collegiate coursework in education.
- Social Work - Elementary schools and other educational institutions look for social workers who have a background in education.
- Education Administrator - these professionals oversee the daily aspect of childcare centers, preschools or other schools. Typically, this position requires an advanced degree.
- Missions work - Many missionary families are looking for qualified educational professionals to help them with homeschooling.
- Cathedral Choir - Enhance your music skills by singing with JBU's nationally acclaimed Cathedral Choir.
- Red Steps - Go on tour with the Red Steps worship band.
- Chapel Band - Play or sing in one of JBU's six Chapel Bands.
- Women's Chorus - University Women's Chorus is an audition-only choir for women who love to sing, but who may not prefer to be in a touring ensemble.
- Jazz Ensemble- Cheer on the Golden Eagles athletic teams at home games and perform classic jazz band repertoire by playing in the Jazz Ensemble.
- Chamber Orchestra- The Chamber Orchestra consists of chamber groups of varying instrumentations and sizes.
- Music Theater Workshop - If you love singing and acting, then the JBU music theater workshop is just for you.
There are many ways that music education majors can join in the JBU community, gain practical experience and serve!
- Music education students can take part in drama productions on campus
- Gain valuable theater and music experience by learning production techniques
- Students operate music technology, including recording tools and digital musical score composition
- Gain valuable work experience by becoming an accompanist for the theater department or community theaters
- Students can put their music history knowledge to work and gain hands-on work experience by becoming a music librarian for the Music Department
- Join nationally recognized music groups and apply for the student group for pianists – MTNA (Music Teacher’s National Association)
- Volunteer for the student group for everyone - CMENC (Collegiate Music Educators National Conference)
- Gain valuable classroom experience by observing teachers in the community.
- Set yourself apart from other grads by developing a whole curriculum before graduation!
- Education students from JBU are in high demand for tutoring local high school and elementary students