Careers and Opportunities
Lobbyist - Lobbyists work for large firms, awareness groups, unions and businesses. These professionals advocate for their clients, which means they need excellent skills in communication, writing and critical thinking.
Customer Service - Communication majors learn how to find creative solutions, which is exactly what companies look for when hiring for customer service positions.
College Admissions - Colleges, universities, seminaries and graduate schools all need help maintaining enrollment. These positions require excellence in dialogue abilities, diligence, creative thinking and helpful attitudes.
Public Relations - This position requires mediation between an organization or company and the press. Protecting the company image is crucial, and can be done through many forms of media, which is why communication majors are great for these positions.
Public Affairs Officer - This job is similar to public relations and is usually a managerial role within a business or company.
Public Relations Writer - These individuals write press releases, manage social media and handle press related issues. Typically, these positions work within a larger public relations office.
Marketing Communications Specialist - Businesses in the public and private sector are always looking for professionals who can help them market their product. Specifically, they look for individuals who can use a variety of media in creative ways to market their products to specific demographics. These types of positions are perfect for communication majors.
Special Events Coordinator - This type of marketing job requires individuals who can communicate with outside customers for a company, remain organized and still specialize in customer service.
Media Relations - Businesses may look for people to help them with marketing in television, radio, social media or other print material.
Media Coordinator - This position requires excellence in communication to coordinate marketing between different types of media. Companies hire media coordinators to work with internal communications as well as handle brand image, campaigns and marketing images.
- Join the student newspaper, The Threefold Advocate, staff and write breaking news stories, edit articles and interview well-known chapel speakers
- Create sales and advertising for The Threefold Advocate through local and national businesses
- The Threefold Advocate continually excels at the Arkansas College Media Association contests winning Newspaper of the Year in 2012
- Students make the newspaper come to life in the newly renovated newsroom
- Join the The Nesher yearbook staff and help write for and produce the yearbook
- Compete with the Pi Kappa Delta speech and debate team against other area schools and help develop persuasive skills
- Work with the University to advertise newly formed groups on campus
- Volunteer with a local non-profit to create marketing strategies, plan fundraisers and develop promotional material
- Work with University Communications and write press releases and update information