Looking at the Options
Careers in Social Studies Education
- Teach 7-12th grade
- Teach overseas - Many international and missionary based schools look for qualified teachers to serve.
- Work in private or public schools - Educational institutions are always seeking quality teachers.
- Work in daycare centers or nursery schools - Childcare workers who understand childhood development and education fundamentals are in great demand.
- Graduate school - Many graduates choose to pursue a degree in higher education to teach collegiate coursework in education.
- Social Work - Elementary schools and other educational institutions look for social workers who have a background in education.
- Education Administrator - These professionals oversee the daily aspect of childcare centers, preschools or other schools. Typically, this position requires an advanced degree.
- Missions work - Many missionary families are looking for qualified educational professionals to help them with homeschooling.
Social studies education majors have unique educational opportunities at JBU. Students get to:
- Work with the Dogwood Literacy Council of Siloam Springs
- Get classroom experience by observing teachers in the community
- Develop a whole curriculum while in school
- Volunteer with local schools
- Tutor local high school and elementary students