Prototype shelters should be designed and constructed prior to the competition. The competition will consist of the following phases:
1. Pre-Competition Phase: Teams prepare a report to include design specifications of their prototype and explanation of how it meets the design parameters. This should be submitted to the judges via the Competition Web site no later than March 30, 2013. Report should include the following:
- Review of Existing Emergency Shelter Designs
- Explanation of Method of Design of the Team Prototype
- Validation that the Prototype meets design criteria (size, cost, etc)
- How the shelter is culturally appropriate to the given scenario
- Suggested possible modifications or improvements to the prototype
2. First Phase: Display of shelters in their compact, unconstructed form, along with required tools and instructions, and a
30-45 minute presentation to a panel of judges explaining how the shelter meets the design parameters.
3. Second Phase: Timed assembly/construction of the prototypes.
4. Third Phase: Overnight use of shelter by disaster ‘victim’ (student judge).
5. Fourth Phase: Wind/water test, inspection, and grading of the assembled units based on scoring matrix.
Specific dates for various key events are as follows:
|Thursday, Nov. 15||Letter of Intent/Application for competition due to JBU (will be reviewed by competition judges)|
|Friday, Nov. 30||Notification to top 10 teams of acceptance for the competition|
|Thurs, January 31||Registration deadline for applicants accepted for competition|
|Saturday, March 30||Project Report due to competition judges via competition website|
|Thursday, April 18||Judges arrive|
|Coordination meeting with judges and JBU Reps|
|Competition check-in and delivery of structures to testing area (JBU CM High Bay)|
|Friday, April 19|
|8:00 AM – 9:00 AM||All participant meeting to discuss procedures and schedule (continental breakfast will be available)|
|9:00 AM – 6:00 PM||Earthquake testing and timed shelter assembly (JBU CM High Bay and outdoor set up area)|
|9:00 AM - 6:00 PM||Team presentations to judges (30-45 minutes per team) (JBU CM Conference Room, BTC 200)|
|6:00 PM – 7:00 PM||Light dinner and Welcome by JBU and WV (JBU Cafeteria)|
|7:00 PM – 9:00 PM||Continue earthquake testing and assembly of shelters on lawn for Habitability Assessment
(Lawn by BPAC)
|10 PM – 8 AM Sat.||Shelters occupied by student judges for Habitability Assessment|
|Saturday, April 20|
|8:00 AM – 12:00 PM||Water and wind load assessment (using Architectural Testing Inc. wind machine)|
|Judges complete final evaluations and scoring of prototype shelters|
|12:00 PM – 2:00 PM||Lunch, awards, closing remarks by WV and JBU (TBD)|
To download the competition schedule, click here